You never think it will be you, until it is. Every day in Los Angeles you hear reports of car and truck accidents, slip and falls, and other injuries that happen to people who think it would never be them, either. But when a personal injury happens, you need someone to stand up for you and protect your rights.
Hershey Law is a professional personal injury law firm Los Angeles whose mission it is to become the go-to law firm for everyone in need of an accident lawyer in California. To do this, the accident lawyers here understand that not only must they be highly knowledgeable and competent in all aspects of personal and employment law, but they must also keep that personal touch when working with clients.
When you come to us because you were injured, you are likely already stressed and confused. We make it our goal to guide you through what you can expect based on your individual situation. We are here to answer your questions and give you support while you go through the process of a personal injury lawsuit.
With our personal injury accident lawyers expertise and guidance, you can focus on healing and recovery while we focus on protecting your rights and getting you the benefits you are entitled to receive.
What Do Personal Injury Lawyers Do, Exactly?
Personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles practice in the field of law in an area known as “tort law.” This means that they provide services to clients (the plaintiffs) who have been injured due to the negligence of another person or persons (the defendants). This instance may be physical or psychological damage, but the personal injury lawyer is retained to provide evidence that the injury did occur, and it occurred due to the defendant’s neglect.
Although most people automatically correlate hiring injury lawyers or a general accident attorney with going to court, that is actually not what happens in the majority of lawsuits. Your attorneys job is to protect your rights and get you the best settlement possible without dragging out the case. To do this, you and your attorneys will likely discuss out-of-court options through a process called “mediation.”
In mediation, both parties of the case meet to try to come to an agreement that is agreeable by all involved. When that agreement simply can’t be reached between the personal injury attorneys, only then will the case continue on to trial.
With most personal injury attorneys, you can rest assured that they have your best interests at heart because most injury attorneys operate on a contingency fee basis. This means that most injury attorneys only get paid if you win your case, at which point your injury attorneys will receive a pre-determined percentage of the settlement. Your accident lawyer will advise you on what they feel your best course of action will be, but ultimately you have the final say.
What Does the Personal Injury Process Look Like?
During this process, as your Los Angeles Personal Injury lawyers attempt to obtain sufficient evidence to prove your case, they will likely be working through the investigative process by gathering official reports, witness statements, photos, and other evidence of the accident or incident. This is important to establish that the accident did occur and that it occurred due to the neglect of the other party.
Meanwhile, you should be doing your part by seeking medical treatment and following the course of advice given to you by your doctor. Once your physician releases you as fully recovered or as stable as you are likely to get, your Los Angeles Injury attorneys will begin the task of collecting medical records and bills, documenting financial losses that you faced, and itemizing damages. The length of time this takes often depends on how quickly the records are returned from the physicians and employers.
After all of the paperwork is completed, your personal injury lawyers will approach the insurance company for an offer. This often takes time as well, but when the offer is received, you and your attorneys will review it and determine the next step.
If the offer is fair, you may accept it and be just about done aside from paperwork. If it is not, your attorneys will attempt to negotiate a fair offer, but if they can’t, they will file a lawsuit and demand arbitration. From that point, the defendant has 30 days to respond, at which point a discovery process ensues.
In discovery, your Los Angeles personal injury lawyers and the other party’s attorneys will take depositions of all of those involved, including witnesses and experts. This can become quite expensive and lengthy, but when all discovery is completed, the trial date is requested and your personal injury attorneys prepares you for trial.
Again, trial rarely happens in a personal injury lawsuit, but when it does, you want to know that your personal injury lawyers are experienced and knowledgeable. When you work with personal injury professionals like those at Hershey Law, you know you are working with personal injury lawyers who care.
When Can You Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
Each state follows a different “statute of limitations” for personal injury claims, which is simply a deadline that must be met. For instance, in Los Angeles, an injured person has two years from the date of the incident file a lawsuit against those who may be responsible, according to the California Statute of Limitations.
You can hire attorneys at any point in this time frame, but the longer you wait, the closer you become to missing important deadlines and losing the opportunity to pursue your case.
What Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help You With?
Here are just some of the avenues that we can assist you with should you need us.
- Car Accidents: Motor vehicle accidents and injuries are a leading accident in the United States, with accidents and injuries totaling an estimated $18 billion in lifetime costs per year. Accident statistics show that for every one person that is fatally injured in a car accident in or around Los Angeles, 8 more accident victims are hospitalized and 100 were treated for injuries. Car accidents are dangerous and can be deadly, and if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident you may be entitled to more than what your insurance company is telling you about. Our injury attorneys can help you through the process and make sure that your rights and benefits are protected.
- Truck Accidents: Large truck accidents fall into a different category than motor vehicle accidents for multiple reasons. For one, due to the size of the accident, and the vehicle involved in the accident, the damages and injuries sustained in this accident is usually much more severe. Additionally, when a large truck gets in an accident there are often multiple parties at fault. Your injury lawyers or injury attorney will investigate all of the avenues to ensure that the right person or company is held responsible for your injuries.
- Motorcycle Accidents: The number of motorcycle accidents in or around Los Angeles has been steadily climbing over the last few years. In fact, motorcycle fatalities have been at their highest rates in over a decade, and almost every accident results in a serious injury. Motorcycle accident attorneys are usually due to the negligence of the other driver, and a personal injury lawyer can help you to ensure that the party at fault for the accident is held responsible by your accident lawyer and that your medical bills and lost wages get covered. Go with trusted injury lawyers!
- Brain Injury Accidents: Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are accidents due to a blow to the head of some sort that ends up disrupting the way the brain functions normally. These types of injuries affect over two million people each year, with over 50,000 accident fatalities.This injury is often due to someone’s negligence. Car accidents, sports impact accidents, falls, and assault are often the cause of TBIs. TBIs can be a life-altering accident and require ongoing changes and medical treatment. If you sustained traumatic brain damage due to someone else’s negligence, you should retain an accident lawyer to ensure that your medical bills and life accommodations are taken care of as best as possible.
- Wrongful Deaths: When a loved one passes away it is never easy, but when that death is the outcome of someone else’s negligence it is categorically more difficult. Many wrongful deaths occur each year as the result of medical malpractice, car accidents, and other preventable accidents. If your loved one was the victim of a wrongful death, you can make sure that the responsible party is held accountable for their actions by obtaining a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer like those of us at Hershey Law. Our accident attorneys are here for you!
- Slip and Falls: We’ve all seen the “Wet Floor” signs in the grocery stores and gas stations warning us to avoid certain areas, but what happens when those signs are not there or in the right area? Property neglect has caused millions of people to slip or fall every year, causing them to sustain injuries that were preventable. These injuries are not usually covered by your insurance, and medical treatment for them can become expensive. Personal injury attorneys can help you get your medical bills covered and get the compensation you are entitled to for your suffering.
- Spinal Injuries: Severe spinal cord injuries are life-changing, resulting in physical and psychological effects that will last a person’s lifetime. If you were in an accident that resulted in damage to your spinal cord, you are likely looking at the need for long-term medical treatment, changes to your lifestyle, and more that will mean significant costs. An expert accident lawyer can help you to make this happen so you can focus on recovery and not stress the finances.
- Product Liability – Accidents happen, but when that accident is due to a product malfunction or a defective product and you are injured, you may feel like you have no recourse to get help for your medical bills. Let a knowledgeable product liability attorney, like the attorneys at Hershey Law, do the legwork to track down the responsible party and get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Call Today for a Free Consultation
Los Angeles is full of injury lawyers and newbie injury attorneys, but not all of them have their injury clients’ best interests at heart and are also professional and experienced. The Los Angeles injury attorneys at Hershey Law know that you are the reason they are able to keep working every day, and they want to help you get the injury compensation that you deserve. Let us become YOUR Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorneys
At Hershey Law, you are more than just a number. Reach out today for a free consultation to see how our Los Angeles area attorneys can help you with your personal injury lawsuit.